A kidney stone specialist is a urology surgeon who specialises in treating patients with kidney stone disease. Our kidney stone service is run by Mr Ken Anson who has over 30 years of experience and access to the most up to date technology that is used to treat and diagnose those who suffer with kidney stones.

A kidney stone is a hard crystal formed in the urine and made of minerals and salts. Stones can arise in one or both of the kidneys and mostly affect people between the ages of 30-60 but can occur in babies and the elderly as well.  Kidney stones can develop for a number of different reasons but in a majority of cases, the reason is poorly understood. Some of the lifestyle’s patients follow can predispose them to stone formation and these include:

  • A “fast food’ diet
  • Excess body weight
  • Dehydration
  • Some supplements

Kidney stones can be extremely painful, and cause major complications if left untreated. Here are some of the most common symptoms associated with kidney stones:

  • Abdominal pain (pain in the side of your stomach)
  • Pain that comes and goes in waves
  • Blood in your urine
  • Nausea and vomiting

If you are thought to have kidney stones, you will be referred to see a kidney stone specialist. You will need to undergo some tests to establish the size, number and type of stones that may be present, urine assessment to ensure it is not infected and blood tests to check your renal function. Once the diagnosis has been established, you will have the chance to discuss the various different treatment options available to you with your kidney stone specialist. If you have any questions, don’t be afraid to ask your specialist – no question is too big or small. It is important to note that some patients may not need any treatment whilst others may require surgery.

Some of the treatment options that Mr Ken Anson, a kidney stone specialist,  can offer you include:

If you would like to speak to our kidney stone specialist, please call us on 07921874889 or email MrAnsonPA@hcahealthcare.co.uk


This article is intended to inform and give insight but not treat, diagnose or replace the advice of a doctor. Always seek medical advice with any questions regarding a medical condition.